6.21.2005

Five interesting things.

Five interesting things that have happened in the last 20 days: 1. Steve and Jessi's awesome son Justus was dedicated on Sunday. Her whole family was in town and it was just a great occasion. I didn't expect to get as emotional as I did. They are just fantastic people who have quickly become very dear friends to us, and for that I am so thankful. Justus is an amazing blessing after a long hard road, and the joy he brings to them (and to us, reflectively) is overwhelming. I love that kid. 2. Last week I was at Schlotzky's for lunch. That Huey Lewis song was playing. One of the lines is "Hot lovin' every night." I'm eating, reading the Scene, not paying too much attention, when I hear an old-lady voice say, "Fred." The old-man voice that accompanies that name grunted and the old-lady voice said, "Did he just say, "Hot lovin' every night"? Heh. 3. We have decided once and for all that we are no longer going to attend our Thursday night bible study after this week. It's the final week of Blue Like Jazz, and we won't be returning for the next study. Long story short, it is more stress than it should be. What used to be encouraging and challenging for us has become tense and uncomfortable, and we don't need to devote one night a week to that. It will be nice to have a night off. 4. We went to see Alanis Morrisette and Jason Mraz at the Ryman last night. So. Much. Fun. She was fantastic, the sound was great, and it was so awesome to sing along with the songs I grew up listening to. She is doing an acoustic tour celebrating the 10th anniversary of Jagged Little Pill. It was a crazily diverse crowd, too... lots of girls my age and older, lots of lesbians, lots of crunchie folks, all of which were to be expected. I was suprised by the number of older people there, people who would have been at least in their forties when the album originally came out. One of my favorite moments was looking over during "You Oughta Know" and seeing a man my dad's age rocking out. Rocking out. And, of course, the people playing air harmonica. Talk about rocking. And Jason Mraz? Incredible. That boy can sing. He has a very natural stage presence... he was just hanging out up there. Good times. 5. Camp. (This actually hasn't happened yet, but I feel like it is happening to me all the time.) It is in two weeks, and we have 17 kids signed up. 17. That's only 4 per team. At least we don't have to worry about having enough counselors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home