8.25.2005

An 80-year-old woman in a 25-year-old body.

I am old. I have been 25 for two weeks, and my body has decided that 25 is where it all starts going downhill. My back hurts, my knees ache, my ankles won't bend well. I am creaky and cranky and it is not pretty. The culprit behind all this pain? Volleyball. Aaron and I have started playing in a pick-up volleyball game on Monday nights. It's competitive, which I love. I am a volleyball snob, and I have a hard time playing in games where people don't know what they're doing. I know it's all in good fun, and I can do that, but it's a struggle. I need a game where it won't hurt someone's feelings if you block them. Or hit them with the ball. Or argue about whether the ball was in or out. So we went, and it was good. There was one guy there, though, who was kind of a volleyball nightmare. I don't really mind stupid people. They bug me, but they're stupid, they can't help it. What I do mind is stupid people who don't know they're stupid. This guy was one of those people. We started off on the wrong foot when our friend Michael blocked his serve (a totally legal play). He said you can't do that, and had all these crazy reasons about why. He was wrong, of course, but after one round of "I think you can do that, we learned how in high school", I gave up. It's no fun to fight with people. Anyway, I won't go into the details, but it just got worse from there. The worst part didn't occur until the next morning when we woke up. I could. not. move. We were pathetic - me, all hunched over walking to the bathroom, and Aaron, being knocked over by our 19-pound dog because his knees won't bend correctly. Regardless, we had a great time and plan to keep going. They're starting up a co-ed league in October that we will probably play in. Now that we're not at CC anymore, we have a lot of free evenings that we don't know how to fill. I'm excited about finding new activities, and especially excited that volleyball will be one of them. I hope I don’t get too annoying with my strategies and drawings of plays on paper. Not that I’m already doing that or anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home