9.28.2005

Muggles and wizards and house-elves, oh my!

So when I last posted about Harry Potter, I did not know the extent of what I was getting into. I didn’t know how these books were going to take over my life. I was not prepared for the magnetic pull they seem to have on me whenever I get a free second. I had no idea I’d be trying to figure out how to read at my desk without anyone noticing. I love these books. I am now about a quarter of the way through Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which means I have read three books in less than two weeks. And I read Prisoner of Azkaban in it’s entirety over the weekend. I was thinking that I needed to get started, so I would have time to read the first four and see the first three movies before the movie version of Goblet of Fire comes out. Apparently I gave myself more than enough time. I don’t know why, but I was really surprised by how much I have enjoyed these books. The first two were fun, but the third really took me somewhere. I love watching the characters develop and become who they are… I think it’s pretty realistic to how those years of your life really are. I especially enjoy reading Hermione, probably because I see myself in her. It is fun to watch her become a teenager, and I hope that develops more as the books go on. I bumped the movies to the top of our Netflix, and I think I am excited to see them. I know I will enjoy them, but at the same time I don’t want the Hogwarts of my imagination to change. Once you put actual faces to the characters, it’s hard to go back to what you originally thought. For example, in my head Professor McGonagall is a plump old woman, almost like a fairy godmother. I know that Maggie Smith (who I love) plays her in the films, and while it will be fabulous, it won’t be the same for me reading the books after that. But I can’t wait to see Quidditch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home