11.11.2005

Nuked another Grandma's apple pie and hung my head in shame.

This afternoon, while driving around Green Hills running errands for work, I noticed something strange. Something unusual. Something taunting me from the tree ahead. A flyer for the Ben Folds show at the Ryman on Sunday. Now, I’ve known about this show for a long time. We just didn’t have the extra cash to buy tickets. I was okay with that… kinda bummed, but okay. Even though it's BEN FOLDS. AT THE RYMAN. (Of course, at the time, I thought we’d be seeing David Gray the weekend before.) So a flyer in and of itself would not have bothered me. It was the giant SOLD OUT stamped across it that hurt my feelings. It would be one thing if it had been an old flyer that had been modified once tickets were gone. It would have made more sense to just take the flyer down, but I could at least understand doing that. But this was something else entirely. This was a new flyer that had been created for the sole purpose of announcing that the show was sold out. In other words, created to mock me. This, I feel, is wrong. What good can come of announcing to the general public that a show is sold out? If those people wanted to go, they would have tried to buy tickets. They would have then found out about Mr. Folds’ sold-out status when Ticketmaster could not find them tickets. Easy peasy. It’s not like the Green Hills crowd was online with their credit cards the moment they went on sale anyway. I believe the sole purpose of this flyer was to spite me. I could almost see it sticking out it’s tongue, hear the “nyah-nyah” coming from it’s photocopied mouth. Why, Ben Folds flyer-makers? Why do you hate me so?

3 Comments:

At 11/11/2005 03:41:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thou shalt not discuss Ben Folds shows that are not in the budget. You make your Dallas friends who also cannot attend due to lack of funds sad. And cry. And throw temper tantrums. And sulk.

*mope*

 
At 11/11/2005 05:26:00 PM, Blogger Bethany said...

Easy peasy :) That made me laugh!

 
At 11/14/2005 07:44:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

they were doing you a favor, "next time you should buy tickets" or "don't even bother coming down to get tickets, we don't have any, save your gas."

so they could just be trying to help, though i would agree, they were just doing it out of spite almost. something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home