12.01.2005

What a way to make a livin'...

In the last week I have had two work-related dreams. I try not to think about work when I’m not actually there, so this was a little out of the ordinary for me. In the first, I had just quit my job and gotten a new one at a big corporation. (I think this was related to my mom getting a new job.) The company was very particular about being punctual, taking exactly an hour for lunch, and had a very strict dress code. My desk was in a sea of cubicles, and all the people around me had the exact same job I did. As soon as I sat down at my desk (after getting a talking to for being late – shocking), I called Trisha (my current boss) and begged for my job back. I was really upset about not being able to wear open-toed shoes. In the second, I showed up at my current job and was promptly fired. I tried to stay through the end of the day but they wouldn’t let me. They said I’d promised I could get us on the Oprah show, but it never happened and therefore I was fired. End of story. At the end of that dream, I went home and told Aaron I’d been fired and he said I didn’t have to get another job and could just stay home all day. Now, I really like my job. It’s been stressful the last couple of weeks, which is probably why it’s been on my mind in my sleep. And I’m really not one to analyze dreams. So I’m sure the first dream didn’t mean that I am in the right place, and the second didn’t mean I need to be stay-at-home wife. But I woke up from each dream with very strong feelings along those lines. I have never felt like I know what I’m doing professionally… I don’t have some big dream job that I’m working toward. So it’s comforting in a way, thinking maybe subconsciously I know this job is a good fit for me and maybe I’ve found something I want to do. And even if it were doable (and as nice as it sounds), I couldn’t not work while we don’t have kids. But maybe I want to stay home when we do. Or maybe the dreams are just a sign that I need to spend less time thinking about work.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home