1.31.2006

I'm over the analyzing tonight...

It’s hard for me to think about major decisions. I’m impatient, and I’m always ready for change. It’s a real struggle for me to sit down and rationally consider the pros and cons of anything. I just want to pick something. We’ll figure out the rest later. Sometimes, these tendencies work out in my favor. Deciding to date someone I met on the internet. Taking this job. Buying pointy boots. As a general rule, the things I jump into blindly turn into positive, and sometimes life-changing, experiences. But some decisions deserve more consideration than others. Buying shoes is not as important as buying a house. Accepting a date and accepting a job are on very different levels. That should affect the effort I put into the making of the decision, but it usually doesn’t. Lately we’ve been questioning a major decision we made back in the fall. We committed to something we thought was one thing, but hasn’t turned out quite like we’d imagined. It has affected our spiritual life as a couple, as well as our social circle. When we made the decision, I was sure we were doing the right thing. And when we told people what we were doing, I had all the right words to convince everyone. Maybe to convince myself. This was right. This was good. So here I am, looking back on the things I once said with such certainty, wondering what the heck I was talking about. Wondering what to do next. Wondering how to make a big decision and feel confident in the final choice. Not only do I not have the answers, I don’t even know the process to find them.

4 Comments:

At 1/31/2006 05:26:00 PM, Blogger Kari said...

I have definitely been there. (Well, I've never dated anyone I met on the internet, but I have made what appeared to be good decisions that went in the toilet.)

 
At 2/01/2006 10:00:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i've sometimes dated someone and it turned out not to be what i thought. the one time i bought pointy boots, the color did not go with my pants, and i ended up taking them back for some new docs. i don't really regret the decisions, cause i'm just the type of person who'd rather find out and fail then never try at all.

 
At 2/02/2006 07:15:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Some decisions are iterative. Also, I think we often never know why we were drawn to a certain decision only to have it not work out the way we thought - I mean, if the decision was made genuinely and prayerfully, and still didn't work out as we'd hoped or planned, we can only assume that God had us serving some other purpose that we were not aware of. KWIM?

 
At 2/03/2006 11:35:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

manohman do i feel you on this one, brandi... are you my long-lost twin?! ;) i have to agree with amy-- decisions are never going to go one way or another 100% of the time. aside from our faith that God is sovereign and is directing our paths, our decisions are nothing more than somewhat-educated guesses. that being said, i will be praying for you here. i know the stress of situations like this sucks. love you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home