1.11.2006

Lately I've been thinking about pretty strange things...

It seems I’ve become quite concerned with highway signs recently, particularly the ones that tell you how far away something is. I’ve found myself checking the odometer as I pass these signs and keeping track (to the tenth of the mile) of how accurate they are. Why this is of such concern to me… I don’t know. Okay, so I’ve done it twice, on the two exits nearest my house on the way home from work. But I will be checking other signs in the near future. No part of town is safe from me. The exit we take, Old Hickory, is exceedingly accurate. Exactly one mile from the sign that reads, “Old Hickory Blvd – 1 MILE” to the exit lane. Very nice. However. The exit before, Harding Place, is one and two-tenths of a mile from its sign. TWO-TENTHS. That is quite a distance. Why, people who put up the mileage signs, would you be so careless? Why not move the sign down the extra two-tenths? I am baffled. (More than I’d admit…)

2 Comments:

At 1/12/2006 03:37:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're not the only one who does this. I am similarly ... strange.

 
At 1/12/2006 08:31:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're nothing but a nut....who cares if its exact or not, unless your walking and carrying 2 bags of grocerys, then you might not make the extra .2 of a mile

 

Post a Comment

<< Home