2.14.2006

Climbed a mountain and I turned around...

I don’t think I’ve ever written about my coworker with the bad taste in music and the loud stereo and the Creed loving. And I don’t really want to ruin today, the day of love and chocolate and little paper valentines that I totally printed out from The Office site and put into all my coworkers mailboxes ANONOMOUSLY, with a story about this guy and his bad singing. But I will. Because right now he is in his office, which is not far enough away from mine, and he is singing. He is always singing. Every time he passes by my office, and I mean every time, and that is a lot of times because did I mention his office is very close to mine? EVERY TIME, he sings, “Brandi/ You’re a fine girl/ what a good wife you would be”. Now that song is not only a fabulous hit of the 70’s by the iconic one-hit wonders Looking Glass, but also the song for which I was named. It is very special to me. Yes, my parents are crazy. Yes, this guy is ruining my special song for me. But today, he is singing Landslide. LANDSLIDE. Landslide is one of my very favorite songs. The first time I heard the song, it was performed by the Smashing Pumpkins on the B-sides album I totally bought because the guy I had a crush on was always talking about Smashing Pumpkins and I wanted to have something to say about them. I was sitting at the kitchen table one day, singing that song to myself while doing my homework, when my dad said, “Why are you singing Fleetwood Mac?” I, of course, was not singing the Mac, and was quick to let him know that was a SMASHING PUMPKINS song, GAH. He proceeded to give me a loooooooooooooooooong (long) lesson in Fleetwood Mac and the joys of Stevie Nicks, complete with album covers and samples played on the turntable. It was a valuable lesson in music that I treasure to this day. For real. All that to say that Landslide is not only one of my favorite songs that has been done by no less than three of my favorite groups (The Pumpkins, The Mac, and the Chicks of Dixie, and also Kidz Bop Kids, YIKES) but it started an appreciation for the music of my parents that continues to this day. It is an important song in my life. And my Scott-Stapp-loving coworker is RUINING IT FOR ME. I am totally taking back his valentine.

2 Comments:

At 2/14/2006 01:00:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow, you're named after a song? that's really cool! i've never heard of that band or the song though.

i like the dixie chicks version over the SP. and i like the FM version better than the DC. crazy.

anyway, you should send your co-worker this weblink, www.yhbtm.com. tell him a friend sent it to you so you could muse at how someone could honestly think alter bridge was a good band, and you thought of him upon seeing the videos. :)

 
At 2/14/2006 03:09:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i am named for Stevie Nicks, ironically enough. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home